Bike to School Day Kicks into Gear
National Bike to School Day is Wednesday.
Students are encouraged to strap on their helmets for national Bike to School Day on Wednesday.
It is all part of Bike Month going on this May. In addition to Wednesday’s event, employees are encouraged to participate in Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 18.
Twenty schools in Virginia have signed up to be a part of Bike to School Day, including Oak View Elementary School in Fairfax. Students are encouraged to bike or walk to school. To read tips on bike safety on the day, visit the National Center for Safe Routes to School website.
For the grown-ups, commuters who want to ride their bicycles to work can access nine "pit stops" throughout the county, where free snacks and drinks will be available. Participants who register will get a 2012 Bike to Work Day T-shirt and be eligible to win some prizes.
Find the pit stops locations:
- Reston Town Center (at the intersection of Discovery Street and Market Street)
- Vienna (at the Vienna Town Green on the W&OD)
- Fairfax City at Van Dyck Park
- Fairfax Corner (in the plaza opposite Coastal Flats)
- Tysons Corner (at L.L. Bean, lot directly in front of store between Nordstrom’s and Bloomingdales)
- Springfield (Metro Park at Walker Lane)
- Merrifield (at the intersection of Sandburg Street and the W&OD)
- Burke VRE Park and Ride Lot
- Herndon (at the Town Hall Green just off the W&OD)
Learn more about the day on the county’s Bike to Work web page.
For more information about Bike to Work Day, county bike facilities and maps, call the Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-324-BIKE (2453), TTY 711.