Virginia residents have donated more than $19.6 million directly presidential candidates this election cycle, with a lot of those donations coming from Northern Virginia.
President Barack Obama has received more than $9.2 million from voters, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has received more than $8.1 million. The remainder—about $2.3 million—went to candidates no longer in the race, including Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich, and political parties.
The data in the tool above is directly from the Federal Election Commission based on campaign reports through June 30, 2012.
Notes on the data: This data was updated in October 2012 to reflect donations based on campaign reports through Aug. 31, 2012. The data has not been cleaned up in any way and appears as it does through the Federal Elections Commission website.
It does not include donations to the political parties or to political action committees—just individual donations to individual campaigns. The contributor's address listed is the address the contributor gave.
See More on Patch
- Lt. Gov. Race: Democrat Aneesh Chopra Wants to Reverse TRAP Regulations, Ultrasound Bill, Voter I.D. Laws
- Democratic Candidate Mark Herring: Republicans Running for Attorney General are 'Cuccinelli Clones'
- Virginia Lt. Gov. Race: Chopra Narrowly Outraises Northam in First Quarter
- Sen. Dick Saslaw: Virginia 'Screwed' if Cuccinelli Elected Governor
- Republican Jeannemarie Davis Campaigns for Lt. Governor at Greenspring Retirement Community
Most Popular articles
- 'Love Your Show Babe:' Jack Diamond Exits MIX 107.3 FM
- Two Displaced in Fairfax Station House Fire
- Fairfax County to Fly Flags at Half-Staff for Soldier, Robinson Grad, Killed in Afghanistan
- Restaurant Inspections: KFC, Woodlands Restaurant
- Crime Report: Fairfax Station Resident Finds Unknown Person in their Garage