Five Things to Know About Jan. 11
TGIF! Make today interesting.
Welcome to Friday, Jan. 11. Here are some cool things about today:
1. On this date in 1935, aviator Amelia Earhart became the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California. Earhart disappeared two years later in an attempt to circumnavigate the globe by air.
2. On Jan. 11, 1964, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Luther Terry released the report "Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States," which highlighted the adverse effects of smoking.
3. Famous birthdays: American actor Rod Taylor is 83; American singer Mary J. Blige is 42 and American singer Naomi Judd is 67.
4. There is a 60 percent chance of rain today, and a high temperature of 51, according to the National Weather Service. Expect a low temperature of 42 and a 40 percent chance of rain in the evening.
5. Agatha Christie's "The Unexpected Guest" can be seen tonight (and this weekend) at the Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre in Lorton. Click here to see photos of the show!
Have a great day!