Five Things to Know About Jan. 15
What are you up to today?
Welcome to Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013! Here are some interesting things about today:
1. On this day in 1943, the Pentagon was dedicated in Arlington, Virginia. The home of the U.S. Department of Defense is 6,500,000 square feet and is the largest office building in the world.
2. On Jan. 15, 2009, US Airways Flight 1549 made an emergency landing in the Hudson River shortly after takeoff from New York's LaGuardia Airport. No one was injured, and pilot Chelsey "Sully" Sullenberger became a national hero.
3. Famous Birthdays: American civil rights leader Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968) would be 84; American actress Margaret O'Brien is 76; American actor Mario Van Peebles is 56 and American football player drew Brees is 34.
4. The weather today will be rainy with a high temperature of 42 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Expect a half-inch of rain in the evening with a low temperature of about 37.
5. Don't miss the Kitchen Band Concert at the Westminster at Lake Ridge Community. The event features a 36-piece band of senior adults playing kitchen tools and implements. The free show starts at 11:00 a.m. Contact Clint to RSVP at 703-496-3440.