What's Open, What's Closed on Columbus Day
No mail delivery; some banks open.
Columbus Day is Monday and many government offices and services will be closed. The following is a rundown of some of the closings.
There will be no mail delivery from the U.S. Postal Service on Monday, according to its Web site.
Some banks will be open and others closed on Columbus Day. Bank of America will be closed, according to its Web site. According to the Wells Fargo site, the bank will be open. Most banks should list their holiday schedule on their Web site.
In observance of Columbus Day, most federal and government offices and schools are closed. The day is listed as a federal holiday. The following offices and services in Fairfax County are closed in observance of Columbus Day:
- Fairfax County Public Schools and School Offices
- Fairfax County Government
- Fairfax County Libraries
- Fairfax County Courts
- All Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services (NCS) programs and offices including Fastran, community, teen and senior centers
- The trash and recycling administrative office
- McLean Community Center
- Old Firehouse Teen Center
RECenters across the county will open for regular hours. The following offices and services are operating on modified schedules on Columbus Day:
- Fairfax County Park Authority Nature Centers and Parks: Nature Centers are open from Noon to 5 p.m.; historic sites will be open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Riverbend Park's visitors center will be open from noon to 5 p.m.; Frying Pan Farm Park will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the visitor center open 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; Green Spring Gardens will be open from Noon to 4:30 p.m.
- Reston Community Center Hunters Woods will open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Reston Community Center Lake Anne will open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Transit services such as the metrorail and the metrobus will run on a holiday schedule:
- For the metro, planned track work will continue to affect certain routes on the Red line and Orange lines.
- The Fairfax Connector is running a holiday weekday schedule with the exception of routes 335, 395, 585, 595 and 597, which will not be in service.
- The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) will be closed.
- Alexandria’s DASH system will run a Saturday schedule.
- Only five Arlington Transit routes will run on Monday and operate on Saturday schedules. They are routes will run ART routes 41, 42, 51, 77 and 87.
Trash and Recycling Collection
Monday will be a regular solid waste collection day for Fairfax County customers who receive trash and recycling collection service on Mondays. Trash must be at the curb by 6 a.m. for pickup.
The Recycling and Disposal Centers at the I-66 Transfer Station (4618 West Ox Road) and the I-95 Landfill Complex (9850 Furnace Road) will be open and operate on a regular schedule.