UPDATED (9:51 p.m.): Photos and video added as well as additional information.
A fire Saturday evening at 3528 Schuerman House Drive in Fairfax sent one resident and one firefighter to the hospital with burns, according to Asst. Fire Chief Andy Vita.
Fairfax City and County firefighters fought a two-alarm fire at a residence off Pickett Road and Shelly Krasnow Lane. The fire was called in around 7:20 p.m. and the two residents of the home were already outside when firefighters arrived.
Nike Ching, who lives across the street from the destroyed home, said Michelle Stewart and her husband drove by, saw the house on fire and called 911. Ching is a reporter for Voice of America.
A helicopter landed near Van Dyck park to transport a male resident to a burn center with non-life threatening injuries. The injured firefighter suffered a burn on his hand.
The top floor and roof were destroyed in the fire. Firefighters had to attack the blaze from outside due to dangerous conditions. They used ladders and hoses to fight the blaze.
The fire was still smoldering by 8:30 p.m.
Fire officials do not yet know how the fire started.
Patch will update this story as more information becomes available. Sign up for Patch's email newsletter for updates on this and other stories.
Correction: An earlier version of this story had the address on Shelly Krasnow Lane. Michell Stewart and her husband do not live in the Shelly Krasnow neighborhood.