A Fairfax Station fire at a single-family home Sunday night caused $150,000 worth of damage and displaced a family of four.
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports that the fire at 10612 Hunting Shire Lane was called in at Sunday at about 11:20 p.m. Investigators said the fire started with a computer plugged into an electrical power strip in the home’s master bedroom.
No one was injured. Smoke alarms alerted everyone to the fire and two adults and two children got out safely, the fire department reports.
When firefighters arrived at the home, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the house. Due to a lack of fire hydrants on the block, the incident commander called for a tanker task force to provide additional water to extinguish the fire, the fire department reports.
The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, firefighters said. Red Cross assistance was not necessary, but the family was displaced as the home was considered uninhabitable.
The fire department offered these safety tips in light of the incident:
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.
- The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI); this is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together. An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
- All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
- When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
- Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.