A proposal under consideration by the Virginia Department of Transportation would assess a monthly fee for E-ZPass users of about $1 per transponder.
E-ZPass is the system that allows drivers to pass through toll plazas more quickly by carrying transponders that automatically charge tolls to a registered account.
VDOT proposed the fee to help defray administrative and operations costs within the state for the service. Most of the E-ZPass toll facilities are not operated by VDOT. The program has grown significantly over the years and will be part of new toll services opening during the next few years.
The proposed monthly fee would cover costs for:
- Purchasing nearly one-half million transponders
- Implementing a program that offers transponders at various stores in Northern Virginia, and eventually Hampton Roads
- Providing service at select DMV locations
- Upgrading information technology to accommodate the expanded program
- Account management and processing of toll transactions
- Customer service and the operation of three customer service centers
The fee—which would be reevaluated on a regular basis—would also help control costs and manage the selection and demand for E-ZPass transponders.
VDOT will accept comments about the fee through Tuesday, June 12, at 5 p.m.
Visit VDOT’s E-ZPass web page www.virginiadot.org/e-zpass for more information or to provide comments online. Comments may also be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or standard mail at:
Office Communications – Third Floor/Annex Bldg.
Virginia Department of Transportation
1401 E. Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23219
VDOT expects to have a final decision in June.