The Stallions are back, working to capitalize on last year's stellar athletic season.
"District and Region championships has become part of our culture at South County," said Mike Pflugrath, director of student activities at South County High School. "Our school spirit is very high. Our student-athletes know they have the support of their classmates, the South County High School staff and community."
The Stallions achieved much last year, including five Patriot District Championships in football, golf, girls indoor track, softball and girls outdoor track. And, there are only veteran head coaches this year.
The football team even got to the state championship game, but fell to Phoebus 20-10.
Other notable facts about last season:
- Five South County teams were the Patriot District district runner-up: field hockey, cheer, boys basketball, boys lacrosse, scholastic bowl
- Twenty-two individual district champions: track, swimming, wrestling
- Four team region champions: field hockey, football, girls indoor track, girls outdoor track
- Eleven individual region champions: track, swimming, wrestling
- First individual state champion in school history: Felecia Majors in indoor and outdoor track
- Crew also had two junior boats win in states this spring
By the numbers:
- 26 student athletes going to play in college
- 56 students - First Team All-District selections
- 16 students- First Team All-Region selections
- 4 students- First Team All-Met selections
- 15 students- First Team All-State selections
- Felecia Majors – All-Met Female Track & Field Athlete of the Year
- Established hype squad and increased school spirit at events
Coaches Awards 2011-12
- Patriot District coach of the year was awarded to Trista Barnhart (volleyball), Leah Conte (field hockey), Gary Dillow (softball), John Nolan (lacrosse).
- Northern Region coach of the year was awarded to Gerry Pannoni (football), Leah Conte (field hockey), TD Holsclaw (track)
- Virginia State Coach of the Year was awarded to TD Holsclaw (track)
"We are very proud of our student-athletes and coaches. Their successes reflect great credit upon themselves, their team, and South County High School," said Pflugrath. "We expect their effort and hard work will continue the excellence in our athletic program."Sport Season (plus playoffs) # of Possible Games/Meets Coach Cheerleading Oct. 17 - Nov. 10 5 Cathy Klocek Cross Country Sept. 8 - Nov. 10 12 Bob Christie Field Hockey Aug. 24 - Nov. 11 26 Leah Conte Football Aug. 31 - Dec. 8 15 Gerry Pannoni Golf Aug. 1 - Oct. 23 28 John Caulfield Volleyball Aug. 22-Oct. 24 18 Trista Barnhart
Subscribe to our newsletters: Headlines from Patch delivered to your email.