Fat Tuesday's: much more than a dive bar.
Situated in the rear of the University Mall, near a FedEx, a florist and a daycare, Fat Tuesday's offers gustatory pleasure at good prices (on Mondays the menu's half-price, which is an unbeatable deal), all in an atmosphere conducive to celebration and inebriation. The bar is frequented by George Mason University students.
Fat's is also a small live music venue. Locally-famous acts such as the Daycare Swindlers (a band which also headlines the 9:30 Club) often grace the "stage." Fat's also hosts the likes of Dave Matthews cover band Crowded Streets.
According to the establishment's web site, "Fat Tuesday's has been serving locals for over 25 years in the same location under the same ownership, so we must be doing something right ... We are proud to be a N'awlins Saloon that captures the festive atmosphere of Mardi Gras and strives to celebrate daily. The Cajun and Creole style cooking at Fat's packs our menu with plenty of authentic southern delights: oysters, shrimp,crawfish, catfish, gumbo, Creole, and Po' Boys as well as other sandwiches and burgers."
- Hours: Mon - Thurs, 11am-12pm; Fri - Sat, 11am - 1:30am; Sun, 12pm-9pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: More than 25 years ago
- Payments accepted: Cash, Debit Card, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: full service bar and kitchen, food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, live music
- Food & dining options: Low calorie, Vegetarian
- General services: Eat-in, Take-out
- Menu link: www.fatsfairfax.com/Menu.html
- Specialties: Cajun cuisine and fresh seafood
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: Yes
- Cuisine: American, Cajun/Creole, Live / Raw Food, Sandwiches, Seafood
- Signature dishes: Gator bites, gumbo, jambalaya, po' boys, reuben sandwich
- Price level: $
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Number of tables: 25
- Features: Dinner, Group-friendly, Happy Hour, Live Entertainment, Lunch, Outdoor seating
- Atmosphere: Bar Scene, Fun, Late-night, Singles scene
- Dress code: Casual